1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
3 cups cooked kasha
2 lb. thin
sliced round steak
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup sour cream or non
dairy sour cream
1. Saute onions, celery, and mushrooms in margarine or butter until onions are soft.
2. Prepare kasha according to package directions using beef broth. Add to sauted vegetables and cool.
3. Use flat mallet to pound meat until 1/4 inch thick. Cut into pieces 3 x 6 inches and season with salt and pepper.
4. Slightly beat egg and add to cooled kasha mixture.
5. Spoon mixture on 6-inch edge of beef pieces. Fold in sides and roll up. Secure rolls with string or metal skewers. Dredge rolls in flour, then brown in oil; remove.
6. Stir 2 tablespoons of flour into pan juices, add wine and beef broth.
7. Return meat to pan and simmer, covered until tender (about 1 hour).
8. Combine pan juices with sour cream and use as sauce over beef.