Ingredients1/2 cup kasha (fine granulation)
1 cup water
2 and 1/4 cup whole wheat or all
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound uncooked bot country or Italian sausage
For country sausage add 1/4 cup fresh chopped sage
For Italian sausage add 1/2 cup chopped parsley
1. Prepare kasha according to package directions. Cover pan and reduce heat to simmer. Steam kasha for 7 minutes then stir gently to fluff and separate kernels; set aside to cool. (There should be approximately 1 and 1/2 cups of cooked kasha.)
2. While kasha is cooling, sift flours and baking powder together in large bowl.
3. Add cheese, uncooked sausage, and sage/parsley; mix well.
4. Add kasha; mix lightly.
5. Shape into bite-sized balls, place on cookie sheets and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
6. Serve warm, if make in advance, refrigerate or freeze. To serve, reheat frozen nibbles in oven of microwave.